We Are A3Capital
“A3Capital was formed with the vision to bring safe, secure, stable, and smart investment expertise to the industry. We believe in forging winning relationships with our clients through demonstrating success, and underpin our every move with steadfast loyalty towards shared goals.”
A3 is a privately held specialist real estate investment platform based in Singapore with origination and execution capabilities across Southeast Asia and beyond. We are widely regarded as a reliable and trusted specialist, with a proven track record in unlocking value and driving growth for our investment partners and portfolio companies.
Under the leadership of Yusof Wahid, A3 has evolved from a single asset syndication platform to a dynamic fund management business that has successfully built and exited investments, and brought private equity funds into listed REITs in Singapore.
A3 stakeholders have over 80 years of combined real estate investment and finance experience in successful and future-proof solutions. We have also nurtured an extensive network of relationships built on decades of professionalism and commitment to the industry. These differentiating factors enable our team of experts to identify and capture value enhancement opportunities, maximizing the return on investment for our client partners.
We Specialise in these Areas
The Management Team
Yusof is a Chartered Surveyor with over 35 years of experience in private equity real estate investments. He founded AsiaEquity Partners (AEP), which expanded into AEP Investment Management (AEPim).
AEP executed more than $1 billion worth of transactions via private syndication and fund platforms, which attracted major family offices as investor clients. AEP expanded into AEPiM when Yusof partnered one of the biggest family offices in Saudi Arabia, and launched Securus Data Property Fund jointly with Keppel Group, to create a data centre REIT. He also launched Basil Property Trust (Core+), which aggregated $500 million in AUM, and is currently tracking 12- 15% in Gross IRR.
After 11 years as AEPiM CEO, Yusof has relaunched A3 Capital as the 3rd iteration of his successful platforms, leveraging his stellar track record in private equity real estate, with key regional partners.
Amos has 30 years of experience in banking and finance covering the full spectrum of strategy and budgeting, business development, risk management, compliance and general management. He has worked in regional markets across Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and the Philippines.
Amos has held senior positions as Country Head of Maybank Hong Kong, President and CEO of Maybank Philippines Inc., and Head of Global Banking at Maybank Singapore. He was part of Maybank Singapore’s EXCO until 2020 before leaving to co-lead in the development of Infinaxis, our DC strategy fund. He is responsible for business development and investor relations at A3Capital.
Amos graduated with a Masters in Economics degree from Macquarie University, and is a Council Member of the Economic Society of Singapore.
May leads the fund structuring, administration, accounting and client reporting functions. She previously worked as a certified public accountant with firms in Australia and Singapore, specialising in corporate audit, statutory financial reporting, tax advisory and planning.
With 30 years of experience in accounting, May is a member of CPA Australia and holds a Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting from Edith Cowan University.
Track Record (2004 – 2021)
Yusof Wahid as its Founder and CEO
55 MARKET STREET, SINGAPORE
- AEP executed an innovative asset management plan that retained the building structure and rearranged the internal office layout and amenities.
- The strategy created additional GFA to fund the refurbishment program covering a new foyer, office lobbies, lifts and toilets.
- The building was sold to Fraser Commercial REIT in less than 2 years after acquisition before the refurbishment was completed. The property achieved a net equity IRR of more than 35%.
60 ROBINSON ROAD, SINGAPORE
- The building structure was retained while undertaking a complete revamp to increase its NLA by an additional 25,000 sf.
- The refurbishment program was completed in 18 months and at less than 40% of the cost to build a new building.
- The building was pre-leased to Bank of East Asia during the time of the refurbishment. The bank subsequently decided to acquire the completed property.
- Invested equity was redeemed to investors within 12 months with a net profit of $35 million.
18 CROSS STREET, SINGAPORE
- AEP strategised the acquisition of a seed asset for a speculative REIT IPO plan under the instructions of the sponsors of Allco REIT.
- On behalf of the REIT sponsors, the new REIT acquired China Square Central and the adjacent Marsh McLennan Centre at S$390 million.
- While positioned to extract the development potential of the property, the crafted structure generated steady rental income for the REIT.
137 MARKET STREET, SINGAPORE
- AEP acquired 137 Market Street in January 2007 for S$34.6 million to seed a private equity syndication.
- A refurbishment plan was drawn up and successfully approved to increase floor area by 20%.
- During the book-building exercise, AEP was approached by its cornerstone investor to purchase the property with the benefit of the approved refurbishment plan.
- The property was eventually sold for S$54 million after a 12-month holding period.
JALAN SULTAN ISMIL, KUALA LUMPUR
- This asset was acquired under an innovative asset-backed securitisation structure organised by AEP.
- AEP initiated an asset management strategy that successfully repositioned the dated property into a Grade A building.
- AEP also successfully optimised the property’s NLA via the maximisation of the building envelope and conversion of under-utilized amenities into office and F&B offerings.
- The property was sold to PNB, achieving a net equity IRR of more than 25%.
Track Record (2009 – 2020)
Yusof Wahid as its Founder and Managing Partner
SECURUS DATA PROPERTY FUND
- Securus Data Property Fund was launched to acquire income generating data centre properties with underlying value-enhancement opportunities.
- Launched as a Private REIT in June 2010, it secured US$220 million in equity commitment from 6 institutional investors, and assembled a portfolio of 6 quality investments over a period of 2 years.
- The Fund pursued an asset enhancement program to optimise the portfolio for REIT-listing. At REIT IPO, the portfolio together with 2 data centres from Keppel were injected into the REIT at a combined value of US$781 million, which more than doubled the Fund’s NAV.
- AEPiM fund investors exited at REIT IPO, at the same time as AEPiM’s sale of its 50% stake in the REIT Management platform to Keppel Group.
BASIL PROPERTY TRUST
- Basil Property Trust was launched in April 2015 as a Private REIT and a follow-on program to Securus Data Property Fund after the successful REIT IPO exit.
- The Fund thesis was designed to aggregate a portfolio of income-generating properties in the Asia Pacific region to create steady dividend income, while seeking value uplift through asset improvements.
- AEPiM successfully raised US$200 million, which was invested in 3 properties – Starhub Green (Singapore), 41 George Street (Brisbane), and 45 Pirie Street (Adelaide).
- Over the last 5 years, fund investors received more than 8% dividend payments per annum. The Fund is presently in divestment mode and has recently disposed its Singapore investment and doubled its invested equity.
- A plan is currently under review for some of Basil’s fund investors to recycle their equity commitment into a new Private REIT initiative to be led by A3 Capital.
Track Record (2015 – 2018)
Yusof Wahid as its Founder and Managing Partner
TRIDENT PLACE, HATFIELD UK
- The property, which was leased to British Telecom PLC investment, was acquired from Goodman, who also developed the property.
- In response to requests from tenants, a new on-site carpark facility was planned and developed, adding 300 more lots.
- AEP secured Ocado Group, UK’s online supermarket giant, to sub-lease 2 office buildings for a period of 12 years.
- An overall 8.3% increase in Net Revenue was secured, which translated to £30 million in enhanced value.
- WALE was extended to more than 6 years due to the Ocado sub-lease.
- The property has achieved more than 20% capital growth since its acquisition in 2014.
- EE Limited (British Telecom) is exploring further asset improvement works as part of its long-term lease.
- AEP passed its asset management responsibilities to the asset owner on Yusof’s retirement as its CEO.